Explorer Program Lessons (Ages 7-12)
Ability Level: Beginner,Intermediate
Age Range: 7-12
Wild Mountain is the place for your children to explore Sierra's winter wonderland! From Adventure Zones to terrain parks, your children will have tons to cheer about. Our instructors have the training, personality and patience to get kids out on the slopes and keep them smiling. Our programs are categorized by age and ability level to ensure your kids get the most out of their mountain experience!
Lesson Details, Itinerary + Important Info
Our Explorer program accommodates children of all abilities. This includes exclusive use of the Thunder Gulch learning area which is specifically designed to help children learn the basics of either sport and provide a safe environment for them to develop their fundamental skills in order to be ready to 'explore' what Sierra has to offer. Children in higher level classes are introduced to the entire mountain and may enjoy some class time in our small terrain parks as well as the opportunity to eat lunch at the Thunder Gulch.
8:30am Ski & Snowboard School Opens.
On weekends and during holiday periods we are open from 8:00am. We strongly advise that you aim to arrive, at the parking lot, at this time to allow for sufficient time to register and prepare for the lesson.
Parents will be responsible for taking their kids through the registration process.
9:15am Registration Closes
9:45am Drop Off and Class Formation
Drop off is right after registration at the "On Snow" explorer meeting area.
10:00 am Lesson Begins
12:00 – 1:00 pm Lunch Time
Children enrolled in the Full Day program will eat lunch at Thunder Gulch.
3:30pm Pick Up Time
Children in Full Day lessons are available for pick up in the Corral.
End Of The Day
If you have a reservation for tomorrow, check in at the rental tent to inquire about keeping your equipment. If you don't have a reservation for tomorrow, the rental equipment must be returned to the Wild Mountain rental tent before 4:30pm.
Wild Mountain Closes (4:30pm weekends and holidays)
3:46pm – Considered late pick and late fee(s) will apply
Pick up time is at 3:30pm. We allow a 15-minute grace period after which a late fee applies. From 3:46pm – 4:00pm a $35 late fee will be charged per child. At 4:00pm and every 30 minutes thereafter a $50 additional charge (per child) will be applied.
Parents... Remember that a good night's sleep, a hearty breakfast and plenty of fluids will help keep your child energized and active.
In case we need to contact you, the Ski & Snowboard School will use the contact numbers you provided during registration. Cell Phones have limited coverage at our resort; please check your messages throughout the day.
Please also periodically check the message boards located at the base of the lifts and in the base area. If your child's name appears here contact us as soon as possible.
For the safety of your child, parents MUST remain on the premises.
Allergies or Medication
Please be sure to inform us if your child has any food allergies or dietary requirements. Children with allergies or dietary restrictions are welcome to bring their own lunch to be stored by the staff. However, lunch cannot contain tree nuts or peanuts due to our health policies. The Wild Mountain staff is not authorized to administer medication to children.
For your child's safety, when picking up your child, you MUST have the pickup slip that was given to you at the beginning of the day. If you misplace the slip, please contact the Ski & Snowboard School prior to the scheduled pickup time.
At the end of the lesson your child will receive a report card detailing what they learned and what level they should enter into should you choose to return.
Bring your report card next time to help us learn a little more about you and your skiing/riding!
Clothing Required – PLEASE LABEL EVERYTHING
Children should arrive, dressed in layers, ready to ski or board. This includes: waterproof pants and jacket, warm socks, waterproof mittens, goggles/sunglasses, sun block. Retail items are available at the Wild Mountain Ski & Snowboard School.
Retail items are available at the Wild Mountain Ski & Snowboard School.
Helmets and ski pants are available for rental.
We are not responsible for lost items.
We don't issue refunds due to weather, when children are unwilling to participate or if they become ill after being in our care.
To ensure a smooth check-in process, we suggest arriving to the mountain an hour before your child's lesson time. Purchase lesson packages and tickets at the Learn to Ski/Ride building or online below.
2018/19 Wild Mountain + Burton Experience Rates
Non-peak / Peak Window Price
|Inquire or Book Now|
|Full Day Lesson Package
Includes lesson, lift ticket, lunch and rental equipment. Helmets not included.
|$199 | $229||
|3-PAK Lesson Package*||$133/day||Buy Now|
|10-PAK Lesson Package*||$95/day||Buy Now|
|Reserve a day of your Wild Mountain 3-PAK or 10-PAK Lesson Package online.*
|*3-PAK + 10-PAK Reservation Request: Please note this is only a reservation request and you must already have a purchased 3PAK or 10PAK program for the current season. Your lesson will be confirmed via email. Reservations must be made at least 24-48 hours in advance. Walk-ins may be available and start at 8:00 a.m. on weekends and 8:30 a.m. weekdays.|
|*The 3-PAKs and 10-PAKs are valid for any three days or ten days of the season, including holiday dates, and dates do not need to be consecutive. Non-transferable. Non-refundable. Afternoon lessons are based on availability.|
2018/19 Peak Dates
November 23-24, 2018 | December 26 - January 1, 2019 | January 19-21, 2019 | February 16-23, 2019
Things Parents Should Know
- If you haven’t already made a reservation online, to save time, please call 530.543.3150 to make your reservation 48 hours prior to your arrival.
- Please note that lessons are subject to selling out. While reservations are not required, we strongly recommended you make them at least 48 hours prior to your arrival.
- We recommend you arrive by 8:30 a.m. (8:00 a.m. on Saturdays and holidays) to allow for ample time for the check-in process. The check-in and registration process for full-day and morning classes ends at 9:00 am sharp. Afternoon lesson check-in and registration ends at 12:00 pm and is based on availability.
- One adult must remain present at Sierra-at-Tahoe throughout the day in case of emergency.
- Dress child appropriately for the weather. Layers are best.
- Be sure your child has eye protection (goggles for snowy days and sunglasses for sunny days).
- Hats, gloves, sunscreen and other items you might forget are available at the Wild Mountain Children's Center.
- Ski pants and helmet rentals are available at the Wild Mountain Children's Center.
- Be sure your child eats breakfast. Lunch is included in all full-day programs.
- If your child has any food allergies or special diets, parents may provide your child a lunch. Absolutely no peanut or nut products can be brought from home.
- Our kitchen is friendly to allergies, but cannot guarantee food has not come in contact with other foods containing allergens or meat.
- Your child will be placed in a group according to their age and ability level. Although you will make a preliminary assessment, final placement is determined with consideration toward the safety of your child and other class members.
- Adult lift tickets can be purchased at Wild Mountain Children's Center.
- Cancellation Policy for single-day reservations: please call 530.543.3150 at least 24 hours in advance for full refund. $40 fee applies for cancellations made before 7:00 a.m. the day of the reservation. Full amount will be charged for cancellations after 7:00 a.m.
- The 3-PAKs and 10-PAKs are non-transferable and non-refundable.
We love our passholders and show it often by offering Early Loads on select powder days through the season. Sierra's wind protected lifts and trails make Sierra-at-Tahoe your best bet on stormy days. Our hard-working crews know every minute on the hill counts and makes it their mission to open on time. Our passholders get hooked up with 20% discounts on food, new gear and rentals with My Sierra Rewards! Sierra is the closest major resort to Northern California (ensuring you less driving and more skiing/riding). Sierra's blessed with natural snow from heaven, not hoses.
We're itching to start another snow-tacular season at Sierra! See what's going on and how we're prepping the mountain just for YOU.
Imagine trading in your cubicle, textbook, business suit, or dead end job for an unforgettable snowy season, or even for a lifetime in the mountains. If you like to work hard and play hard, Sierra is the place for you. Join the Sierra Fam this winter + see why we're Tahoe's favorite place to work!